Resources on Applying APWH Historical Reasoning Skills
- AP History Writing & Exam Skills:
- How to Answer the ENTIRE Question!
- The Short Answer Questions:
- The Long Essay Question:
- The Document Based Question:
- Close Reading Strategies of SDUHSD Social Sciences
- HAPPY Analysis of Primary and Secondary Sources
- AP History Disciplinary Practices and Reasoning Skills.
- Understanding the APWH Multiple Choice Questions.
- Mr. Cameron’s Guide to Efficient Note-Taking.
- Mr. Cameron’s Basic Revisions to Your Written Work.
- SDA’s APWH Course Syllabus and Academic Contract.
* * *
AP World History Content Resources
– APWH Course Framework: the College Board’s overview of the curriculum includes historical thinking skills, thematic learning objectives, geographical coverage, and concept outlines. Notice that many of these pages are key components of the 6 Unit Key Concept Packets.
– An incredibly useful review tool, the APWH Glossary of Terms, is color-coded by Period. Flow of History is an excellent site that students can use to chart cause and effect over time. Histiography.io chronologically maps major events throughout history, and is searchable by several topics – pretty cool. Geacron tracks the geography of the rise and fall of civilizations with an interactive world atlas – rad. Finally, and on a lighter note, historyteacher ‘s YouTube channel is a total blast.
– The BBC and Neil MacGregor team up to understand The History of the World in 100 Objects.
– Awesome Visualization of Chronology and Themes: the award-winning and easy to use Freeman-pedia has a great layout through each of the six time periods of study.
– HistoryHaven’s Review of SECSE themes across all 6 periods of AP World History:
- S: Social Structures and Transformations; Gender Structures
- E: Human Migrations; Tools and Disease
- C: Culture; Networks of Communication and Exchange (also Econ)
- S: Political Structure and State-building; Methods of State Expansion
- E: Economic Production and Labor Systems; (also: C2)
Study & Annotation Resources
– How to Study for this class: Homework is my liiiiife!
– Annotate the Text: An essential skill for humanities coursework.
AP Exam Skills Resources (if you’re into that)
– Excellent Overview of Big Tips for the APWH Exam: The importance of the intro paragraph; DBQ tips & point of view help; logistical time concerns; multiple choice review tips; crazy teacher tips. Mr. Cameron will use this material to familiarize students with primary source analysis, interpretation, and application.
– AP essay writing skill: ‘Answering_the_Question‘ by Bill Strickland. This source is the BEST Mr. Cameron can find on how to make sure all aspects of the prompt are addressed.
– For that fateful day in May: What to Bring on Exam Day.